What are you supposed to do during the summer before 1L year? Here’s our advice on what you should do during the summer before:
1) Enjoy your last true summer vacation. Spend time with your family, significant other, friends. Once law school starts your free time will quickly evaporate, so now’s your chance.
2) Order your case books (online or through Kindle) if you are trying to cut down loans. Prices will go up and delivery times will increase once school starts. You don’t want to show up without a book on your first day and reenact a scene from Legally Blonde.
3) Look at deadlines for your bar application. Some states allow students to apply during their 1L year for a reduced amount. Mark those dates on a calendar.
4) Locate all the local Bar Associations. This is an excellent place to get mentors, meet judges, and generally start to network in your community. Many law students get nervous about attending bar events, the sooner you get out and start meeting people the sooner you will get over your fears.
5) If you live near your new law school, go visit. Start networking with upperclass[wo]men by hanging out in the cafateria area and library.
What other advice can you offer incoming law students? Any particular books you would recommend? Post in the comments and let them know!!